Monday, July 25, 2011

Lucy has a Dynohub

The more I become obsessed over learn about older bikes, the more I notice about bikes "in the wild"

A and I were watching the DVD of Narnia: Voyage of the Dawn Treader the other evening and came across some nice WWII is British bikes in the beginning of the film.  We saw the movie in the theater when it first came out, but that was pre-Columbia Sports III and it didn't leave much of an impression at the time.  But now?

Take a look at some of the awesomeness recreated for the film (click for larger images):


All screencaps from www.homeofthenutty.com

Look at how cool those are!

And I could be wrong, but I think the chainwheel on the guy's bike on the left is the gorgeous Raleigh (heron) design:
from Bikeworks NYC chainwheel gallery


And Lucy herself has a cool old bike (or, I guess, not old but appropriate, given the WWII the setting):




And did you catch the hub on the front wheel in that first photo?

It's a Dynohub--"an exclusive Raleigh feature you can't afford to miss!"--as seen in this 1939 Raleigh Catalog (on Sheldon Brown's site):

It's a 12-volt generator that powers the headlight by using magnets in the hub to create AC current (and see, all those physics courses weren't entirely wasted, 20 years later I can understand a bike hub--obviously worth it all the time).

A loves the 1930's-40's era, she loves the costumes in this movie (the screencaps give her the chance to get a good look at them) and now the bikes, too.  And I'm loving that sweet Dynohub!

No comments:

Post a Comment